Things to Do
CCPL offers fun and educational activities for children of all ages. Visit the program calendar, read Loud & Clear magazine, or explore this page to find activities for your family.
CCPL Fairy Trail
The fairies are back by popular demand! The CCPL Fall Fairy Trail will be available to explore Oct. 17-31 at the North Courthouse Library Neighborhood Connector Trail.
Browse the tabs below for links to free, digital things to do!
- Kennedy Center Artist-in-Residence author Mo Willems, of Elephant and Piggie fame, teaches simple drawing lessons for kids
- Join the creator of Dogman and Captain Underpants for weekly art lessons
- Maker activities, art, quizzes and games from the Tate Galleries in London, England.
- San Diego’s New Children’s Museum presents virtual Toddler Time, DIY activities, and Zoom talks for caregivers.
- Art ideas based on the collection at the Virginia Museum of Art
Make Your Own Box Guitar
- Find a Box and Some Rubber bands. You can use any kind of box. An empty tissue box, a shoe box, a plastic food container, or a small shipping box will all work. Hair ties will work instead of rubber bands, but will sound a little different than rubber bands.
- Wrap the Rubber bands around the Box. Make sure that the bands lay across the opening of the box and don’t touch each other.
- Play Your Guitar. Pluck the rubber bands over the opening in the box. This will cause the rubber band to vibrate, producing a sound.
- Experiment with Pitch. Making the rubber bands tighter will make the guitar make a higher sound. One way to tighten them is to place the rubber band at an angle on the box.
- Try New Things! What else can you do to change the sound? Does the thickness of the rubber band make a difference? What about the size and material of the box?
Click the Music tab above for more!
- Award-winning English and Spanish songs, puppets, fingerplays, and more for kids!
- This video from GoNoodle will show you how to make an instrument with just your mouth!
- Missing music class? Try these lessons and games for music appreciation, created by Cincinnati Public Radio.
- For more information, videos, and fun quizzes about musical instruments, check out this website! What type of instruments are your favorites?
- This episode of the TV show Franklin all about music is available to watch for free with Access Video Just for Kids.
- For articles, pictures, and news about different types of music and instruments, visit Kids InfoBits.
- Sing and move-along songs for early learning and literacy
- Learn about how instruments make sound, experiment by making more of your own instruments, and discover the history of music in America.
- Interactive games, instrument facts, and composers for children
- An instrument "petting zoo" for kids, and more!
- Learn how to make music with just water and a glass!
Browse CCPL Research Databases for more useful links and materials.
- National Geographic’s video tours, gorgeous pictures, and fun games about America’s national parks.
- Watch lions, cheetah cubs, giant pandas, elephants and more on these live streams! Downloadable activity packet included at link.
- Learn about science, social studies, math, the arts, and more!
- COVID-19 stories, lectures, virtual tours, and more
- Stories and extension activities integrated with the arts for at-home learning.
- Easy activities, videos on books on a different subject each day for kids.