Things to Do
CCPL offers fun and educational activities for children of all ages. Visit the program calendar, read Loud & Clear magazine, or explore this page to find activities for your family.
Browse the tabs below for links to free, digital things to do!
- Kennedy Center Artist-in-Residence author Mo Willems, of Elephant and Piggie fame, teaches simple drawing lessons for kids
- Join the creator of Dogman and Captain Underpants for weekly art lessons
- Maker activities, art, quizzes and games from the Tate Galleries in London, England.
- San Diego’s New Children’s Museum presents virtual Toddler Time, DIY activities, and Zoom talks for caregivers.
- Art ideas based on the collection at the Virginia Museum of Art
Make Your Own Box Guitar
- Find a Box and Some Rubber bands. You can use any kind of box. An empty tissue box, a shoe box, a plastic food container, or a small shipping box will all work. Hair ties will work instead of rubber bands, but will sound a little different than rubber bands.
- Wrap the Rubber bands around the Box. Make sure that the bands lay across the opening of the box and don’t touch each other.
- Play Your Guitar. Pluck the rubber bands over the opening in the box. This will cause the rubber band to vibrate, producing a sound.
- Experiment with Pitch. Making the rubber bands tighter will make the guitar make a higher sound. One way to tighten them is to place the rubber band at an angle on the box.
- Try New Things! What else can you do to change the sound? Does the thickness of the rubber band make a difference? What about the size and material of the box?
Click the Music tab above for more!
- Award-winning English and Spanish songs, puppets, fingerplays, and more for kids!
- This video from GoNoodle will show you how to make an instrument with just your mouth!
- Missing music class? Try these lessons and games for music appreciation, created by Cincinnati Public Radio.
- For more information, videos, and fun quizzes about musical instruments, check out this website! What type of instruments are your favorites?
- This episode of the TV show Franklin all about music is available to watch for free with Access Video Just for Kids.
- For articles, pictures, and news about different types of music and instruments, visit Gale In Context.
- Sing and move-along songs for early learning and literacy
- Learn about how instruments make sound, experiment by making more of your own instruments, and discover the history of music in America.
- Interactive games, instrument facts, and composers for children
- An instrument "petting zoo" for kids, and more!
- Learn how to make music with just water and a glass!
Browse CCPL Research Databases for more useful links and materials.
- National Geographic’s video tours, gorgeous pictures, and fun games about America’s national parks.
- Watch lions, cheetah cubs, giant pandas, elephants and more on these live streams! Downloadable activity packet included at link.
- Learn about science, social studies, math, the arts, and more!
- COVID-19 stories, lectures, virtual tours, and more
- Stories and extension activities integrated with the arts for at-home learning.
- Easy activities, videos on books on a different subject each day for kids.