- Use the Library
Public libraries first appeared in Chesterfield County during the early part of the 19th century. The early libraries began as a citizens’ movement. Some of the significant dates of CCPL’s development are:
- 1903 - Hazen Library opens in Bon Air.
- 1935 - Public Library of Chester opens.
- 1964 - Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors votes to establish a library system.
- 1967 - Chester and the Hazen Library open as libraries of the Chesterfield County Library System.
- 1968 - State funding is received to begin a bookmobile. Two bookmobiles make 21 stops weekly, combined.
- 1972 - Bond referendum passes to fund a new library at the Courthouse Complex (Central library), plans to develop libraries for Bon Air, Ettrick-Matoaca, Midlothian and Clover Hill are included.
- 1976 - LaPrade, Ettrick-Matoaca and Bon Air (replacing the Hazen Library) libraries open.
- 1977 - Central Library opens as a 22,800 square foot facility, other libraries have been approximately 7,500 square feet.
- 1980 - Midlothian Library opens.
- 1981 - Bookmobiles retire, Library system now consists of five libraries.
- 1984 - Coin operated public computers become available at the Central Library.
- 1988 - Bond issue is approved to fund the expansion of Central, Midlothian and Bon Air. Funding is also approved to build two new libraries: Enon and Matoaca West.
- 1989 - Greater than 50% of the County’s population has a library card
- 1992 - Enon Library opens
- 1993 - Meadowdale Library opens
- 1994 - Clover Hill Library opens
- 2001 - New Chester Library opens
- 2001 - LaPrade Library renovated
- 2008 - New Meadowdale Library opens
- 2013 - Ettrick-Matoaca Library renovated
- 2013 - Ground is broken for new library located on Courthouse Road near Reams Road
- 2014 - Bon Air Library renovated
- 2016 - North Courthouse Road Library opens
- 2018 - Central Library renovated
Silvers, Dorothy Fuller. Chesterfield: An Old Virginia County. Volume II, 1955-1989. Chesterfield, VA: Chesterfield Museum Committee of the Chesterfield Historical Society, 1992.
Weaver, Bettie Woodson. Chesterfield County Virginia. A History, 1970. Chesterfield, VA: Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors, 1970.