Book / Material Selection
Responsibility for Selection & Maintenance of the Collection
The selection and maintenance of the library’s collection lies administratively with the Library Director, who delegates to appropriately trained and skilled staff members.
The Chesterfield County Public Library manages the selection of materials through a coordinated system of shared responsibility among a specially trained selection team. Selectors make choices based on a thorough knowledge of community interests, needs and current library holdings.
Selectors use their subject knowledge and expertise in combination with the standards listed below to select and evaluate materials for the collection. Gifts and purchases are selected for the collection using the same criteria.
- Significance and/or usefulness to the community
- Evaluation presented by critical reviews
- Comprehensiveness and depth of treatment: clarity, accuracy, objectivity, and organization of information
- Reputation and authority of author, artist, producer or publisher
- The contribution the work makes to a diversity of viewpoints
- Currency or timeliness of information
- Production quality and suitability of physical format for library use, including issues related to durability and possible obsolescence of format
- Relationship to existing material in the collection
- Cost and availability
- Popular demand as related to above criteria
In addition, electronic materials are also subject to the following selection criteria:
- Accessibility, both in the library and remotely
- Quality of access relating to product’s ease of use and availability of online help
- Currency and frequency of product maintenance and updating
Suggestions for Purchase
The Chesterfield County Public Library welcomes suggestions from our customers for purchases of titles that are not currently available in the collection. Library staff will evaluate all suggestions, considering many factors including but not limited to budget, availability, space, and the scope of the collection. While we may not add your suggested title to the collection, we appreciate your input and value your contribution. If you are requesting an item for purchase, please include your name and the library branch you use most frequently while providing as many details about the item as possible.
The library encourages input from the community concerning the collection. A suggestion for purchase may be made online or in person. All suggestions are subject to the same selection criteria as other materials and are not automatically added to the collection. Please check the catalog periodically to see if the item you suggested has been ordered. If the item has been ordered, you may then reserve the title by placing a hold request in the library's catalog.
Fill out our online materials suggestion form.
Placement of Materials
Once materials are selected for purchase, the selector is responsible for determining the number of copies purchased and the branch placement of each copy. Due to budgetary and space constraints, a copy of each selected title cannot be placed in each branch. Placement of materials is determined using a countywide approach to create a comprehensive collection of materials system wide. Chesterfield County Public Library provides delivery services between branches to allow customer access to multiple branch collections.
Distribution of materials is determined using the following factors:
- Significance and/or usefulness to the branch community
- Previous demand in each branch for similar subject, genre or author
- Anticipated demand for material based customer requests
- Support of upcoming programs, advertising or other library-generated interest
- Relationship to existing material in the branch collection
Items in good condition are subject to permanent transfer to other branches as the needs of each branch community and each branch collection evolve.
For more information on donations, visit our donations page.
Chesterfield County Public Library accepts donations of new and gently used materials at all locations. Donations are accepted on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Wednesday of each month.
We appreciate the following:
- Hardback and paperback books that are not more than 10 years old
- Books on CD
- Music CDs
A donation bin will be available at each location on the designated dates. Donations of up to 20 items are accepted. Remove donations from bags and boxes before placing in the bin.
You may request a receipt for your tax-deductible donation. Please estimate the quantity and value of your donations before bringing them to the library. If you would like to make a large donation, please contact your local library to make arrangements. For more information about material donations, please read through the Materials Donation Guide (PDF).
Proceeds from book sales are used to support library collections and services.
Loan Rules / Fines
Current Loan Periods & Overdue Charges
Borrowing Physical Materials
- Present your library card or photo ID to borrow materials.
- Borrow up to 30 items at one time, including up to 10 DVDs.
- Renew eligible materials up to three times, as long as no one is waiting.
- Have up to 15 items on hold at any time.
- Receive email notifications when items are ready for pickup.
- Items are due by close of business on the day they are due. Items returned overnight are credited the next business day.
Borrowing Digital Materials
Digital materials, such as e-books, digital audiobooks, and digital magazines have no fines. Most items return themselves at the end of the loan period. For specifics, please visit the Stream & Download page.
If a library item has been damaged during the time you’ve checked it out, you may be charged for the replacement of the item. All replacement costs include the cost of the item plus a $5.00 processing fee. You may call (804)751-CCPL (2275) or visit your nearest location to discuss the replacement cost of the item or questions you may have, and a staff member will be happy to help you.
What you can do when you log in to your library account online:
- Renew books
- Request books and have them delivered to your home library location
- Set up preferred searches
- View program registrations
My List Tips
The new catalog is loaded with new features!
- Easy login to your CCPL account with just your library card number and pin
- PIN Alert: All PINs have been reset to the last 4 digits of your library card number. You can reset your PIN in "My Account" once you login.
- Keep a record of all your previous checkouts
- See your physical checkouts and e-checkouts all in one place
- Link accounts- parent and child accounts can be tied together for easy access, all from one login
New Kids Catalog
Browse the collection using kid friendly categories like Animals, Science or Spooky Things!