Beginner's Guide to E-Books and Other Digital Materials
If e-books, digital audiobooks and digital magazines are new to you, don’t worry! They are easy to use, and we are happy to help!
What are digital materials?
- Digital materials have the same content as physical materials, but they are published in additional formats, to accommodate personal choices.
- E-books are text-based images of the book that you view on a screen. You can increase the text size on those books we don’t have in Large Type!
- Digital or electronic audiobooks are recorded versions of books which you can listen to on a computer or hand held device or even in your car.
- Digital magazines are images of the magazine, which you read on your computer, tablet or phone.
Benefits of digital materials:
- E-books return themselves automatically, so you never need to worry about late fees. Some items, like downloaded magazines, never need to be returned.
- You can access them from anywhere you have computer access, even from your own home.
- With your library card, you can visit CCPL anytime, from anywhere, in any weather.
- Digital magazines are always available. Get the issue you want when you want it, with no waiting.
- The text size is easily adjustable to fit your personal needs/comfort level.
How do you get to the digital materials?
- We will walk you through it! Visit our Stream & Download page to get started. Have your library card handy and follow the instructions.
- You’ll use a website or an app to download your e-book, audiobook or magazine. You can read or listen on your e-reader, your computer, your tablet, or your phone.
If you are unsure or encounter any concerns, contact your local library. We’ll guide you through the process by phone or set up an in-person appointment. Bring your e-reader, your computer, your tablet or your phone, and we will help you get started!
Looking for help with a computer issue? Want to learn more about the software on your laptop? Need to learn a new technology skill for your resume? Check here for helpful computer and technology learning resources.